Whenever friends and family ask me what should I get your daughter for her birthday or christmas or any other occassion, I always have one answer – ANYTHING THAT GLUES HER TO ONE PLACE FOR HOURS (without needing my assistance). Holidays are busy time filled with shopping, parties, families visiting each other and many other occasions and in the midst of all these chaos all I really want is to keep my kid busy and occupied with activities without having to keep a constant eye on her. The books listed below have been tested on my kid and few neighborhood kids who come for playdates, it literally glues them to one place for hours. We have carried them on vacations, on a 3 hour road trip to Austin and even on the flights, except the ones that requires painting with water. I stock up on them whenever I see them and they also make the perfect present for any occasion. These books are good for girls or boys ages 5 to 8 and older. For boys, you can even find the Star Wars coloring books nowadays and you just can’t go wrong with it!
1. Color Your Own Stickers – Letters and Numbers: This one has been my daughter’s most favorite. We have made many projects out of that, see the Live Laugh Love artwork below. You can frame these artworks and it makes a great gift for the grandparents. I found this one at Michaels, you can find many such similar books with different themes such as world traveler, dapper animals etc.
2. Notebook Doodles: All you need is the book and some crayons and she can come up with beautiful artwork that you can hang on your wall.
3. Scratch & Draw: I found this book from Costco for less than $10. This book was ideal for long road trips and boring flights. I myself loved scratching and creating beautiful designs out of it.
4. Paint With Water: I pack these books whenever I am visiting someone overnight. All I need to carry is paint brushes.
5. Velvet Coloring Pages and Posters: These posters have been huge this season, my daughter got a few pretty ones as a gift and she was stuck to our dining chair until she finished coloring all of them. That was one good hour!
All of these books can be found at stores such as Michaels, JoAnn, Target or Walmart. They also make wonderful little go to gifts.
How about you? What do you use to keep your little artist busy for hours?