Believe me or not this beautiful looking appetizer got me compliments even from people who don’t care a thing about low-carb diets and never tasted kale before in their life. And of course, it is always a hit amongst all the diet conscious people in a party. The trick to loving kale is to either marinate it properly or cook it with ingredients that enhance its flavor. And if you are a lover of all things kale, this finger food/appetizer will knock your socks off.
The only cucumber that works best for this recipe is English cucumber and not the slicer, Persian or Armenian cucumber. English cucumber is generally long and narrow in size and wrapped in plastic.
For this recipe, we are marinating kale with soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice and America’s favorite hot sauce sriracha. You can absolutely adjust the heat according to your taste.
The kale filling can be made 4-8 hours ahead of time and can be stored in the refrigerator. Kale will continue to reduce in size so make extra.
Make thick round slices of English cucumber and fill each cucumber with 1 tsp. kale. A melon baller is a wonderful investment but if you don’t have melon baller you can also use a knife and scoop out the center part of the cucumber just be careful not to make a hole in it.
It is best to assemble right before serving because it does not take much time to scoop out the center. It’s a pretty quick process to assemble.
I have been making this kale cucumber cups since a year now and have tried many variations in serving. You can add a bit of ranch on top of the kale to make it look more presentable and delicious. You can also cut thin slices of cucumbers and stuff kale between two slices and make a sandwich out of it.
This is one of my favorite appetizers – low-carb, gluten-free, and super easy to make.
Hope you like it as much as I do.
Here’s the step by step instructions for Cucumber & Kale Cups –
- 2 cups very finely chopped kale leaves (stems discarded)
- Thick round slices of cucumbers (I used 1 large English cucumber)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- ½ tsp. sriracha hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- - Mix finely chopped kale, soy sauce, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- - Using your hands, rub it together for at least 5 minutes until kale wilts.
- - Stir in sesame oil, sriracha hot sauce salt, and sesame seeds.
- - Let it sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Kale will reduce in size.
- - Using a half-teaspoon melon baller carefully scoop out the center of the cucumber to create a bowl. Be careful not to scoop all the way to the bottom of the cucumber.
- - Taste the kale stuffing and adjust the seasoning especially for salt and for hot sauce.
- - Fill each cucumber with one teaspoon kale.
- - Sprinkle some more sesame seeds to add the crunch.